Thursday, December 20, 2012

JDS Insights: August 2012

This year's summer holiday was not really any different to others. I read, I explored my writing a bit more, I shopped, I spent time in coffee shops...the usual.

As well as that - we celebrated ten years of being together and five years of marriage. I can't believe it's gone so quickly. It did make me reflect on my relationship the stuff I'm proud of and not so proud of and how much it does take work. We have to intentionally make an effort on our relationship.

I also took a lot of my clothes to be altered...so now I have trousers that not only fit me in the waist but also are the correct length. I don't know why I didn't do it earlier! I did this because I was browsing a few mens' fashion blogs - I had no idea there were so many.

August is also the month of school results. This year it seemed as if it was a 'the market correcting itself'. No 'record years' and all that. Nope. Far more sober and in keeping with the fact we're 'in a recession'.

I still say to the boys I teach - whilst good results are useful - they don't have to dictate their future unless they let them or want them to. Some pupils define themselves by their results; others less so. As a teacher I suppose I 'should'...but I don't.

This month I'm trying a different layout for the insights* below. They're not supposed to be read in a linear fashion - more like - see what jumps out at you - which words, which phrases - and read them. I've noticed that's what I do.

It might seem like a wall of text but our brains being pattern-identifying-machines fixate on single points and then attempt to make sense of it. IMHO it's an interesting way of interacting with the ideas contained within.

Enjoy!

-------
Aug 01: Creation happens all the time - whether we like it or not. Aug 02: Destruction happens all the time - whether we like it or not. Aug 03: Intentional creation is true freedom. Aug 04: Understanding your Self is most of the battle. Aug 05: Bringing something into existence can be hard work or simple. My choice. Aug 06: Once I get started it's easier to keep going. If I don't even start the game is over. Aug 07: No thing is permanent. Every thing is created. Aug 08: Without something to push against there can be no rebellion. Take away the thing to push against and see what happens. Aug 09: If I didn't care I wouldn't get angry. I don't have to let it guide my actions though. Aug 10: My past is nothing to be ashamed of. But it doesn't have to make me who I choose to be in the future. Aug 11: How can I argue with your version of reality? Aug 12: Impose your opinion on someone else and see how they react. Aug 13: The past is rarely exactly how it happened. It's more how it serves your ego to remember it. Aug 14: Enjoy a nostalgia trip for what it is: a trip - the drug being who you thought you were. Aug 15: Speaking the truth is different from living the truth. Aug 16: My future is mine to create. Avoiding life happening to me is the challenge. Aug 17: When I let go of judging other people's situations I am able to contribute appropriately and as needed. Aug 18: People are not always interested in my contributions. Especially when I assume they are. Aug 19: Thinking I have the answer and speaking to others like I do, limits my experience of them and their experience of me. Aug 20: I am never tired of what I think I am tired of. Aug 21: Being lazy isn't necessarily easier than taking action. Aug 22: Comparing myself with others causes upsets. Aug 23: Parents want the best for their children. They just do their best with the tools they've got. Aug 24: It's much easier to believe that people think less of us than they actually do. Aug 25: It doesn't matter how old we get, our issues are always with us. Aug 26: Being able to articulate my feelings gives me power over my self. Aug 27: Being able to articulate another's feelings gives me true relationship. Aug 28: Dishonour how you feel in the moment and watch your energy for life drain away. Aug 29: I can only listen when I am silent. Aug 30: Waiting for the other person to finish before I put my point across is not listening. Aug 31: Assuming how I come across *is* how another perceives me, limits a relationship.
----
*mine