Thursday, August 02, 2012

Untrilogies

Each uniquely similar and similarly unique.
I enjoy films a lot. I love the escapism, the reality, the hyper-reality. I love the story made (almost) real. I feel personal relationships with some characters in films. They are part of me.

For my generation, films provide an easy talking topic. A joint point of reference. Popular culture is part of our lives; combined with the pace of (technological) change and our defining moments are blurred.

We are post-modern.

I think I was in the post-university, pre-married phase. It was that time when I'd shaken of the shackles of school and started developing my own personality. I was having a film-based discussion with one of my friends. This was a guy who studied English literature and read *LOTS*. He also loved films. During our geeky discussion he said something like, "I've always wanted to watch the first film from one trilogy, the second from another and the third from yet another - just to see if anything interesting happens."

Of course we then began debating which films to watch...

I forgot all about this discussion for a while and then, during a particularly geeky film debate (argument) I was winning with CircusBoy I mentioned the idea of watching three semi-unrelated films. I can't quite remember who gave birth to the phrase but the word 'untrilogy' was born.*

Over the years we talked about it. We had twitter discussions about it (#untrilogies #untrilogy of course!) and continued arguing about minutiae.

Also over the years, it's become a fascinating discussion and guaranteed easy ice-breaking non-controversial discussion between casual acquaintances or good friends. It even makes friends from acquaintances.

The wonderful part of this discussion is that anyone can suggest pretty much any set of films and get creative about how they link. It's an excuse to talk about our favourite films, formative years, and particular influences. It reveals our personalities to people in an interesting way.

Our generation always has opinions about films. Our joint point of reference. Popular culture is part of our lives; combined with the pace of (technological) change and our defining moments are blurred.

We are post-modern.

Taking this all a step further, I began to record untrilogies. I then met AlcockMichael at TheFella's recent birthday meal. He suggested creating a tumblr around the idea. So I have.

Submit, quote, tweet, link and add all your untrilogies there.

-----
* A few friends and I even watched the first Untrilogy: Three Kings, Dr. Strangelove and Apocalypse Now.** We made the mistake of watching the Redux edition. I think that put us all off watching an untrilogy because we never did it again.

**The link was 'war'.