Saturday, January 30, 2010

From the Shinings of my Reflections: 2010

This post has grown from my Reflections on 2009.

After reflecting it makes sense to look forward and create. I'm enjoying doing this. First there was the Sign "☮" the Times in 2008, then there was Flash-Back, Flash-Forward in 2009 so here are some things that 2010 will be for me.*

Now I'm not necessarily one for setting specific goals or 'resolutions' as such. That doesn't mean I don't have things that I'm not committed to achieving. Not at all. Me being 'anal' and getting what I want out of life seems to annoy some people who know me.

That's up to them.

Something I've come to enjoy in the last year, is picking a particular quality to engage with and then enjoying what shows up. This relates to some stuff I've read and heard that who you're 'being' will give rise to what you 'do' and therefore what you 'have'. If I'm 'being' happy, then I'll 'do' the things that happy people 'do' and 'have' the things that happy people 'have'. Equally if I'm 'being' angry I'll 'do' the things that angry people 'do' and I'll 'have' the things that angry people 'have'.

Not sure I've explained that very well...but it kinda relates to one thing I chose last year, namely 'trusting the process of life' and I quote from my Flash-Back, Flash-Forward post:
But trusting the process of life is akin to using the Force (yes alright I had to get Star Wars into it somewhere for fuck's sake). Trusting God. Listening to Buddha. Walking through Dharma. Following the Tao. Whatever you call it.
Engaging with that in the last year has had all sorts of things show up. It's only looking back that I can see what it gave rise to. I mean I have no clue what the future holds - only a pretty clear idea of what I'm up to - but that future could be all sorts of things.

Even miraculous things.

Hahahahahah...there I said it!

So 2010. Here are the three themes. One is a specific, two are 'being' thingies.

1) Creating a house, a home and everything in it...
Kinda obvious this one and it's the specific. After last year. I was chatting with her a couple of days ago and she asked if we could have bought a house given last year's circumstances. I replied I thought we could - if we could have seen how the year would pan out - only it's not that easy to predict the future. Part of me can't help but think a smooth life would be a boring life (a bit like flat-lining).

So yeah - 2010 will be our chance to move into a house.

Of course a house needs a valid reason for having three bedrooms. The house is the foundation for a family. Some people think that their whole purpose in life is to create a family. To propagate their genes. To keep the species going. Who knows?

Well as far as I can tell, one's whole purpose in life is down to what one chooses.

And having a house is definitely building the foundation for a family.

So many of my contemporaries are doing it or have done it. I've even had some tell me I'm taking my time.

Well I'll do things my way thank-you-very-much.

Besides, creating a home is much bigger than just the house.

2) Completion
Related to the whole house thingy this is a being thingy. I speak to one of my close friends twice a week to empty my head of what's going on so I can make up the next experience. A bit like Dumbledore and his Pensieve it just means I don't have to carry around any more nonsense in my head than I already do.

Now the thing is, saying something like this means the first thing that I'm going to start noticing are all the things that are NOT complete. It's already happening. I'm seeing the things I put on my to-do list (of course I have one of those - what kind of Android-using geek would I be without one?) ages ago that I haven't done. Uh-oh.

Completion is also a bit more than getting things done. It's one of the 'being thingies'.** I'll explain it by quoting one of my Daily Insights:***
When there's something left to say, there's unrest. When there's nothing left to say, there's peace.
I suppose it's a bit like what Hollywood/ Cheesy TV calls closure. You know - when one door closes another opens...that kind of thing. You get it now? That's my first Being Thingy for the year.

3) Power
Now I'm not talking about some Greyskull He-Man phenomenon here. Dictionary.com says (along with other stuff)

- Noun
1. ability to do or act; capability of doing or accomplishing something
I'm taking that ability to do or act a bit further. I've heard it described as the amount of time between saying something is going to happen and it actually happening. The quicker it happens in reality, the more power one has.

Now I know I've gone all conceptual, abstract and maybe even all weirdo but we all have it inside us. This particular Being Thingy is best expressed by Coach Carter's question: What is your deepest fear?

Here's what one of his students responded:
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
Those words were written by Marianne Williamson.

So I'm engaging my deepest fear.

Or said even better - conquering my Dark Side.

Hah - had to get Star Wars in there.

And that's number three!

2010...let the roller-coaster begin...

Oops it has already.

-------------------------------
*I aim to be doing this when I'm old. Oh wait - according to some I am already!


** At this point I realise that I'm using this phrase quite a bit...because I quite like it. Being Thingies. I'll capitalise it from now on.


*** I've started my own daily musings. I'll do one for January on this blog soon. Watch this space. If you think it's pretentious - good! Hehehe. Now write your own.