Thursday, August 13, 2009

Time Off In Contemplation


Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. Philip K. Dick

It was July. I was barely two weeks into my Summer Holidays and I was doing the Sainsbury's shop when I saw three words in the shop. 'Back to School'. WHAT? How can this be? Is this real? I'm supposed to be on my summer holidays. WTF is this 'Back to School' already-shit?

I'm not sure why this happened - perhaps some effect of the credit-crunching-recessionary-depression we're living through where we're being told to spend. Don't you just love the summer holidays?

I guess for teachers it's a time of recovery, rest and to get those things done that just can't get done during school time (like dentist check-ups, eye-tests, taking the car for its MOT, all that mundane stuff).

I think that any summer holiday is a chance to spend time off in contemplation. Away from the routine it's a lot easier to take a step back and smell the roses. It's a time when the future can be talked about. Minds can wander without rhyme or reason in complete freedom to put the world to rights, and create lofty philosophical spaces and resolutions for making things happen.

Of course the change of pace and routine also makes it easier for the things that I (un)intentionally avoid thinking about to surface. The stuff I haven't done. The plans I made but didn't do anything about. The talk that was just all hot air. It's a time of laziness and sloth. Of staying in bed until the afternoon and eating ice-cream at the 'wrong' time.

Maybe that's just me.

What do we want as human beings? Spontaneity or routine? Constant or change? Creativity or predictability? Dreams or reality? The world around me seems to be in a whirl of it all at once being crammed down throats, shoved in faces, blasted into ears, and squashed up against bodies 24-7-365.

Philip K. Dick
might have been on to something.