Thursday, July 16, 2009

To Blog or Not to Blog? Five Reasons why I do.

I was playfully told by someone in the last week amongst a group of us, that I have "too much time on my hands".

This was after they read a bit of my blog.

A discussion then ensued about what a blog actually was, and I explained how I post regularly.

The next (perhaps logical) question was "what's the point?" or "why bother?"

Regularly posting on a blog seems like a very personal thing to do. It could even be considered an arrogant thing to do because I'm assuming that people are interested in what I have to say! So this has made me think why do I have a blog?

Here are five answers.
-------------------------------------------
1) I actually have something to say

Anyone who has had an interaction with me knows that I enjoy talking. Some might say I enjoy the sound of my own voice and that's why I became a teacher.

But I meet so many people who have nothing to say. Oh they make lots of noise - moving the air around them to form sound waves that are picked up by my ears and interpreted by my brain as language and communication - but they're actually saying fuck all.

They would better serve the planet by shutting their mouths.

I'm not saying that everything everyone ever says has to be deep and meaningful and hugely significant, but something that moves the conversation forward would be nice.

The amount of fucking repetition that happens is truly mind-numbing.

I GOT IT THE FIRST TIME!

Sigh...but I suppose if it's being said to me again I didn't.

But anyway - I blog because I have something to say. An unquenchable urge to question. To state my point. To object. To provoke. I can't help it. It seems to be a genetic inevitability, and innate tendency of mine.

My purpose seems to be to argue about everything with everyone.

2) I think there's more than this
It's all very well having something to say, but it really will turn into a load of hot air if there's no point to it.

As much as I love to question and argue, having a blog allows me to express something more. It enables me to channel my argumentative nature into something coherent. Putting my opinions out in public holds them up to scrutiny...along with all the flaws in my discussions.

Hopefully this will then get other people thinking and allow me to evolve.

A more conventional, cheesy way of saying this is that having a blog allows "me to make a difference" (however small) to people (however few) reading what I write.

Guiding my idea of making a difference is that I think/ feel/ believe/ know that "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." This is something that is so difficult to express and capture in words...

...but it's another reason for my blogging.

3) Practising my writing
I suppose this is the most logical and tangible. Committing to regular blogging improves my writing and expression. Especially as I'm writing a book.

4) It's cathartic
Having a blog allows me to let go of all that negativity I carry around and keeps me on an even keel. There's no censorship on a blog. I have free rein to express whatever I want. Even using The Seven Dirty Words* with aplomb. That's why I'm so wonderfully pleasant and easy-going in real life, but bitter and twisted whilst writing.

5) Pure opinion is pure creation
The very act of expressing an opinion forces me to take a stand on something. Challenging someone else on their opinion pushes them to evaluate their own ideas and ideals. It can put into question the core of their being and send them mental.**

I think this is why most people prefer to be told what to think - it stops them going mental. It makes life so much easier and saves so much energy. Churches, talk-shows, news programmes and so-called experts tell us what to think - so we don't have to. Recreational drugs also provide nice easy relief from having to think.

Blogging allows me to create something. Create my opinions, ideas - even my sense of self - it all gets explored through having a blog.
-------------------------------------------

So there you go - five reasons I blog.

The real beauty of it all is - if you don't like what I have to say, you don't have to read it!

* These are taken from the George Carlin sketch 'Seven Dirty Words You Can Never Say on Television'. The words are: Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits. I'm working my way through using them all...I just don't seem to use Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits. All the others seem to make their way into my posts fairly regularly.


** Mental illness can be defined as when someone's ability to make sense of the world around them falls apart - usually due to some kind of trauma - physical or emotional.