Saturday, February 10, 2007

Midlife Crisis


I'm beginning to think that there's such a thing as a quarter-life crisis.

It's one of my (many) pet theories and explanations about life, the universe and everything. (See one of the joys of having a blog is getting to spout my opinion on it all and people will read it...right?)

It seems to be a conversation I've had with a few people now. I mean, it really hit me when I met up with a few of my friends from secondary school over the Christmas/ New Year period.

We're all beginning to turn thirty, and becoming a lot more reflective about life. A mid-life crisis was (I think) supposed to be around fifty - assuming we'll live to 100 - so around twenty-five there's this time I think we all go through of self-doubt and introspection.

I think it culminates in turning thirty. Entering my thirties made me look back on everything I have and haven't done.

Either that, or the crisis begins at thirty (which I think is the more likely). Everyone's living until they're older...so a quarter-life crisis means I'll live until I'm 120...yay!

Whatever it is...I think everyone goes through this down period after finishing studying/ starting work.

And I think it's because of how much lifestyles have changed. By the time my dad was the age I am now, he had a four-year-old son and a two-year-old daughter. He owned a house, had a car, and a job.

He had a family. He had arrived.

Does that happen by the time people are thirty now?

Not for my generation.

I'm sure that simplistic, jingoistic, narrow-minded paper the Daily Mail would have some lament about people staying at home longer, and the breakdown of young people wanting to commit their lives to each other, and the rise of hedonism blah blah blah...

But is it just me or is everything harder now?

Falling in love, buying a house, getting a job, eating right, keeping fit, having sex, talking to people, avoiding offending people, earning money...

Is it just my generation that feels this way? It's the anti-thesis of "when-I-were-a-lad" - more like - "you-had-it-so-easy-then" type attitude.


And you know what? We're pissed off.

Because it feels like my generation is the one that's going to have to deal with the climate change, the lack of resources, the overpopulation, the pace of technological change, the never-ending race to get ahead in life (well it's not never-ending - it'll end when I pop my clogs).


I'll leave to someone famous to capture the mood.
I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.
Reply to this post if you know who said that.

J.

PS: This post was brought to you by Faith No More