Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Being Late...

Surely I can't be the only person who thinks that being late is rude.

If I say I'll meet up with my mates in the pub at a certain time, I'll be there.

So why do people turn up late, without apologising, or communicating earlier? Do they think it's ok to do that? It makes it so much harder for me to take someone seriously if they keep doing that.

It's not just about being on time...it's if you are late (because things do happen) then it gets cleaned up - because it gets acknowledged.

I've had it explained to me that it's honouring my word with respect.

Now I'll be the first to admit I mess up occasionally - like the whole thing with when my mum got annoyed with me. But I've cleaned up the mess I've made, and re-committed to getting on with it.

But to hear about how a bunch of guys were 45 minutes late for a restaurant appointment...well that just makes me embarrassed to be a bloke! Especially as assorted girlfriends, and friends were there on time!

Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds that rude.

If some guy can't even get his act together to meet a girl on time, what hope is there for him keeping a promise to stay married to her?

When I get married, my wife and I will review our wedding vows on our wedding anniversary - so we represence for ourselves what we committed ourselves to. In my opinion, the wedding ceremony is a public declaration in front of family and friends, of our commitment and promise to each other.

No wonder some of my (female) friends are bemoaning the lack of any decent men around.

It seems as if there are very few decent men around...

...or maybe it's just very few decent men in my community.

J.